- Canola oil, for frying
- 3 large zucchini, cut into large fries or 1/2-inch rounds
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan (stuff in the can is a-okay)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves (the conversion is 3:1 fresh to dried or, in this case, 2 t. of dried)
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup water
Measure flour into a pie plate. In another pie plate combine panko, Parmesan, parsley, cayenne and salt and pepper, to taste. In a third plate add lightly beaten eggs and water. Dredge the zucchini in the flour, followed by the egg and finally in the panko. My daughter set up an assembly line.
Working in batches, place the breaded zucchini slices in the hot oil and fry until golden brown, 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined cookie sheet and immediately season with salt and pepper. Serve with creamy horseradish dipping sauce (recipe follows).
CREAMY HORSERADISH DIPPING SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish (most often found in the dairy section)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/4 cup and mayonnaise (reduced fat is okay)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup sour cream (reduced fat is okay here as well)
Mix. Dip. Gobble it up!
Click HERE for more vegetarian recipes.