March 29, 2012

My Favorite Things: Kaffir Lime Tree

I was first introduced to kaffir lime leaves during a Thai cooking class where we used them to prepare Tom Kha Gai, my favorite soup EVER!  I returned home and quickly set out to replicate the recipe.  I was able to locate all of the ingredients on my list, with the exception of kaffir lime leaves.  These particular leaves are a key ingredient in Thai cooking, particularly Tom Kha Gai, so I couldn't leave them out.


Martha Stewart purchased her Meyer lemon trees from a local grower (local to her), and that was good enough for me.  I gave Martha+Meyer lemon trees a google and came up with Logee's in Danielson, CT.  Logee's conveniently carries kaffir lime trees, so I placed an order (HERE) and in a little over a week my miniature tree arrived.  Now, Tom Kha Gai soup is mine with very little notice. 

I also use kaffir lime leaves in my over the top scrumptious Thai Green Curry Chicken (recipe found HERE), and my Panang Curry (recipe found HERE).


If your tree doesn't seem to grow, be patient.  It took over a year for mine to show movement.

HERE are helpful pointers from Apartment Therapy's blog on growing citrus trees indoors.  I am going to try a few.

Happy growing (and cooking)!


 ~Merrill

© 2012 All photography, graphics, text and copy are the property of Ivy Lane Designs, LLC.


No comments: